Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Intercultural competence

Intercultural Competence

Nowadays it is very common to see in job descriptions "intercultural competence" as a requirement in the soft skills list, but the definition of intercultural competence is rarely clear to anyone applying for a job - perhaps even to those who put it in the requirements.

Intercultural competence is defined as “the ability to deal with different cultures and the people who belong to them, their system of values and communication styles respectfully and appropriately so that they can communicate with and understand them. them ”.

Each culture has a system of values and a unique style of communication. Therefore, being interculturally competent goes far beyond having good interpersonal relationships. Intercultural competence encompasses two other important concepts, such as system of values and communication styles, and is divided into three types: cognitive, behavioral and affective intercultural competence.




The cognitive aspect of intercultural competence concerns one's knowledge of one's own culture and the culture to which it will relate. Knowing some habits and behaviors helps immensely in interacting with a different culture. For example, in a meeting with Japanese, when handing out your business card, it is important to do so by holding the card in both hands, which for Japanese culture is a sign of esteem and consideration. Handing over the card with just one hand is considered rude and can make a bad impression right in, compromising the future business.

The affective aspect refers to the social competence of the person - then the good interpersonal relationship counts. Here it is critical to be able to respond emotionally in an appropriate manner by controlling any negative reactions. Controlling anxiety, empathy, and avoiding judgment, especially based on stereotypes, complete this aspect of intercultural competence.

In the behavioral aspect, we are interested in the openness and willingness to interact with different cultures: “Am I willing to respect and accept what I don't know and/or don't understand?” is the central question here. Here you need to exercise verbal and nonverbal communication skills to have a better understanding of the context and to be able to adapt your behavior for successful interaction.

Only in this brief definition of intercultural competence, we can see several other concepts linked to culture:

- System of values
- Communication Styles
- Empathy
- Stereotype
- Verbal and nonverbal communication
- Opening to the unknown

We will talk about all these concepts. And you can be sure that when we talk about these, others will appear. Let's explore together the culture and intercultural theme. Stay tuned!

#gointercultural #whatisculture
#culture #cultureandglobalization
#nationalculture #regionalculture
#interculturalcompetence #culturaldimensions #hofstede #movingabroad #respectthedifference #culturecomprehension #interculturalcompetence #communicationstyle #marinaonair #empathy #culturalopenness 

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

The worst week of my life

It was a Sunday in March 2001. As usual, she came into my room early, because she woke up according to her biological clock and wanted to play. I wanted to sleep longer and used to kick her out of my bedroom. So many times I did this, so many times she came back shortly afterward with my breakfast, arranged in her own way, on a tray. But that morning she did not return. And I did not even miss her, because I slept again. When I got up, I saw her prostrated on the sofa, burning with fever. There was a slight reddish swelling behind her ear, and I immediately took her to the hospital. They gave her medicine to lower the fever and said it seemed to be mumps, but the strange thing was that she was already immunized against it. How could it be? We went home and stayed quiet for the rest of the day. On Monday morning she was feeling better, then I took her to school and went to work. But at lunchtime when I picked her up at school, she was feverish again, the edema behind her ear ha

MAMA NON LAVORA!*

*Mom does not work I worked as a nanny for an Italian family in Munich. Papà was an engineer and had a very good job. Mama was an event promoter and self-employed, she had her own company and worked from home, organizing and promoting events in her town in Italy. Every morning she was pretty busy with conference calls, budgets, emails, and planning, but when the day of the events came, she had to be there in Italy, to conduct them personally. They had a son, the little Pietro. He was not yet two years old and used to fly to Italy with Mama when she needed to be there for work – his grandma was always happy to have him around. But this one time it happened that Pietro had to stay in Munich. I came in the afternoon to take care of him until Papà arrived from work. Mama told him she had to go to work, Papà was coming soon and that I would be there to play with him meanwhile.  When he noticed that Mama was really leaving, he started to cry, clung around her neck and shouted “Mama non

100% priority

In the text about if it is possible to be a perfect mother and at the same time an outstanding professional, I said I would be back to the topic. Not only because this was a very hard thing for me, leaving me guilty for not being “a good mama” for my daughter, but also because I see it is a topic that still concerns mothers all around the globe. Recently I was sitting at a table surrounded by wonderful engaged women and suddenly I heard some of them talking about single motherhood. And how hard and tough are the demands of society on single mothers. Even worse when single working mothers. Then I mentioned what I wrote here in my blog, which was a big dilemma for a long time in my life. I told these enlightened women that I no longer felt guilty because now I knew I did the best that I could at every moment of my life. I knew I might have failed in some moments as a mother, in other as a professional, but I was aware, I had done all I could. One of the women, also a single