Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Move and culture

It is common for many people to move from one house to another. We move from our house, neighborhood, city, state and even country. And every move brings with it a certain fear of the unknown.

“Will the neighbors be nice like the ones I had? Do you have little children? What do they like? What do they do? ”These are questions that occur in times of change, because “culture is the way you do things around here” and you, who just arrived in the area, still don't know what it is like. If people in this new place speak the same language as you, adaptation tends to be less difficult. But when we move farther, where another language is spoken, cultural differences are more visible, and adaptation is a much bigger challenge.

Think about this scenario: you move to another country for whatever reasons (work, love, etc.). Getting there, you feel everything is weird: the way people talk, eat, walk, act... it's all very weird and you tend to think that local people are somehow wrong, because your own way to be and act seems to be better, makes more sense. At this point you are recognizing the differences.

But you can’t come to the house of a distant friend or just acquaintance and start criticizing the decoration, and change the place of the furniture, right? Respecting others' ways of being is the first and most important step when arriving in an unknown place.

Next, you have to try to understand why things are the way they are, why people act the way they do. You don't have to agree, you just have to respect and try to understand. When you understand these whys, the context may start making some sense and you no longer feel so bothered by these differences.

One thing must be said: Understanding differences can take time, as it requires some knowledge about culture and cultural patterns. There is no “right” way: there is your perspective and the other's perspective of understanding the world.

Let's talk here clearly and simply about these concepts. Stay tuned!

#gointercultural #whatisculture
#culture #cultureandglobalization
#nationalculture #regionalculture
#interculturalcompetence #culturaldimensions #hofstede #movingabroad #respectthedifference #culturecomprehension

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

The worst week of my life

It was a Sunday in March 2001. As usual, she came into my room early, because she woke up according to her biological clock and wanted to play. I wanted to sleep longer and used to kick her out of my bedroom. So many times I did this, so many times she came back shortly afterward with my breakfast, arranged in her own way, on a tray. But that morning she did not return. And I did not even miss her, because I slept again. When I got up, I saw her prostrated on the sofa, burning with fever. There was a slight reddish swelling behind her ear, and I immediately took her to the hospital. They gave her medicine to lower the fever and said it seemed to be mumps, but the strange thing was that she was already immunized against it. How could it be? We went home and stayed quiet for the rest of the day. On Monday morning she was feeling better, then I took her to school and went to work. But at lunchtime when I picked her up at school, she was feverish again, the edema behind her ear ha

MAMA NON LAVORA!*

*Mom does not work I worked as a nanny for an Italian family in Munich. Papà was an engineer and had a very good job. Mama was an event promoter and self-employed, she had her own company and worked from home, organizing and promoting events in her town in Italy. Every morning she was pretty busy with conference calls, budgets, emails, and planning, but when the day of the events came, she had to be there in Italy, to conduct them personally. They had a son, the little Pietro. He was not yet two years old and used to fly to Italy with Mama when she needed to be there for work – his grandma was always happy to have him around. But this one time it happened that Pietro had to stay in Munich. I came in the afternoon to take care of him until Papà arrived from work. Mama told him she had to go to work, Papà was coming soon and that I would be there to play with him meanwhile.  When he noticed that Mama was really leaving, he started to cry, clung around her neck and shouted “Mama non

100% priority

In the text about if it is possible to be a perfect mother and at the same time an outstanding professional, I said I would be back to the topic. Not only because this was a very hard thing for me, leaving me guilty for not being “a good mama” for my daughter, but also because I see it is a topic that still concerns mothers all around the globe. Recently I was sitting at a table surrounded by wonderful engaged women and suddenly I heard some of them talking about single motherhood. And how hard and tough are the demands of society on single mothers. Even worse when single working mothers. Then I mentioned what I wrote here in my blog, which was a big dilemma for a long time in my life. I told these enlightened women that I no longer felt guilty because now I knew I did the best that I could at every moment of my life. I knew I might have failed in some moments as a mother, in other as a professional, but I was aware, I had done all I could. One of the women, also a single