Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Marina On Air goes intercultural

I started writing here about my life as a single mother and some difficulties that I faced throughout my life because of that. This subject will keep existing here, it is a very strong part of my life. 

But my life was also strongly influenced by contact with other cultures and that since my early teenage years. This awakened me along the time to the interculturality/cultural diversity that each one brings in, conscious or not. But how to understand what is intercultural without understanding exactly what culture is?
 
In today's globalized and highly connected world, it is common to find people from different countries living and/or working in the same environment, and understanding cultural differences is fundamental for harmonious living. But a different culture is not just that of another country: your neighbor from has different habits and customs from yours, even being the same nationality as you.

There are several academic definitions of culture. Some are simpler, others indicate contexts of regional/national identity or belonging to particular groups. But the best thing for laypeople to understand and to apply in life is, "Culture is the way we do things around here".

And the way things are done in each place is determined by the set of beliefs and values ​​of the people there. What is important there in that group or region may not be for you, which doesn't mean the people in this group are wrong because they act differently from you. Understanding why people behave the way they do is not that simple, it requires understanding contexts that are often beyond one's ability. It is not necessary to agree with the other, but it is essential to respect the person's way of being and acting.

The meeting of cultures can be very enriching when the parties recognize and respect their differences. And when they interact to the point where, for example, they adopt a different custom for themselves, we have already entered the field of interculturality, of interaction between cultures.



How many cultures can you identify around you? Which are? How do you identify them? Food? Way of speaking? Habits? Traditions? Comment, and collaborate to expand our conversations about culture, which are just beginning with this post.

#gointercultural
#whatisculture
#culture
#cultureandglobalization
#nationalculture
#regionalculture
#interculturalcompetence
#culturaldimensions
#hofstede

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

The worst week of my life

It was a Sunday in March 2001. As usual, she came into my room early, because she woke up according to her biological clock and wanted to play. I wanted to sleep longer and used to kick her out of my bedroom. So many times I did this, so many times she came back shortly afterward with my breakfast, arranged in her own way, on a tray. But that morning she did not return. And I did not even miss her, because I slept again. When I got up, I saw her prostrated on the sofa, burning with fever. There was a slight reddish swelling behind her ear, and I immediately took her to the hospital. They gave her medicine to lower the fever and said it seemed to be mumps, but the strange thing was that she was already immunized against it. How could it be? We went home and stayed quiet for the rest of the day. On Monday morning she was feeling better, then I took her to school and went to work. But at lunchtime when I picked her up at school, she was feverish again, the edema behind her ear ha

MAMA NON LAVORA!*

*Mom does not work I worked as a nanny for an Italian family in Munich. Papà was an engineer and had a very good job. Mama was an event promoter and self-employed, she had her own company and worked from home, organizing and promoting events in her town in Italy. Every morning she was pretty busy with conference calls, budgets, emails, and planning, but when the day of the events came, she had to be there in Italy, to conduct them personally. They had a son, the little Pietro. He was not yet two years old and used to fly to Italy with Mama when she needed to be there for work – his grandma was always happy to have him around. But this one time it happened that Pietro had to stay in Munich. I came in the afternoon to take care of him until Papà arrived from work. Mama told him she had to go to work, Papà was coming soon and that I would be there to play with him meanwhile.  When he noticed that Mama was really leaving, he started to cry, clung around her neck and shouted “Mama non

100% priority

In the text about if it is possible to be a perfect mother and at the same time an outstanding professional, I said I would be back to the topic. Not only because this was a very hard thing for me, leaving me guilty for not being “a good mama” for my daughter, but also because I see it is a topic that still concerns mothers all around the globe. Recently I was sitting at a table surrounded by wonderful engaged women and suddenly I heard some of them talking about single motherhood. And how hard and tough are the demands of society on single mothers. Even worse when single working mothers. Then I mentioned what I wrote here in my blog, which was a big dilemma for a long time in my life. I told these enlightened women that I no longer felt guilty because now I knew I did the best that I could at every moment of my life. I knew I might have failed in some moments as a mother, in other as a professional, but I was aware, I had done all I could. One of the women, also a single